Air Conditioning Advice
Does my AC system require regassing?
Your air conditioning system does not use up the gas inside when it is in operation.
During a routine air conditioning service the refrigerant levels will be checked and if the refrigerant level is low, the likelihood is that there is a small leak somewhere on the system.
Older units have mechanically connected fittings which are more susceptible to leaks caused by vibration during operation.
A leak in refrigerant will cause the air conditioning system to under perform and eventually fail completely.
What happens if air conditioning units have a refrigerant leak?
The effects of a refrigerant gas leak on the air conditioning systems are: -
- The efficiency of the air conditioning unit will be reduced considerably.
- A low level of refrigerant can cause the compressor to overheat and breakdown. A compressor change is a very expensive repair so leak checking is always vital.
- Low refrigerant levels can cause the evaporator to freeze up.
- Refrigerant gases must not leak into the atmosphere as they are a controlled substance in respect of environmental hazards.
Do I need regular checks of my air conditioning systems?
We would recommend at least an annual service and check of your air conditioning system. This firstly ensures you are fully compliant with the Refcom regulations.
This also reduces the risks of expensive repairs which can be avoided by planned preventative air conditioning maintenance procedures.
ABC will tailor make a air conditioning maintenance contract to suit your systems and the environment which they serve.
What can I do to help maintain my air conditioning?
- The condenser (located externally) should never be covered up or blocked. The condenser draws air into the system, if the unit air flow is reduced, the system efficiency will be effected considerably.
- If your air conditioning is used for cooling only during summer months, we would recommend putting the systems into operation during Spring to identify any issues and avoid costly breakdowns of your systems when they are needed most.
Call us on 01425 477777 or use the contact us opposite to request a quotation.